By Mario Klarer
In this vintage beginner's consultant to English literature, Mario Klarer bargains a concise and obtainable dialogue of vital matters within the research of literary texts, taking a look at:
- definitions of key words comparable to literature and text
- the genres of fiction, poetry, drama, and film
- periods and classifications of literature
- theoretical methods to texts
- the use of secondary resources
- guidelines for writing study essays
The new and increased version is absolutely up to date to include:
- a wider variety of textual examples from international literature
- additional references to modern cinema, a bit on comparative literature
- an prolonged survey of literary classes and genres
- recent alterations in MLA guidelines
- information on state of the art quotation administration software
- the use and abuse of on-line resources.
The ebook additionally good points feedback for additional examining in addition to an intensive word list of key terms.
Read Online or Download An Introduction to Literary Studies PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Georgie Hyde Lees, who married W. B. Yeats within the autumn of 1917, has for a few years occupied a secondary or perhaps marginal place in such a lot stories of her well-known husband. She has been depicted as a terrible selection for romantic companion, political comrade, or literary collaborator. whereas frequently thanked in acknowledgments pages and considered as a minor editor or secretary, she often gets basically footnote prestige in literary analyses.
This day, copyright is far and wide, surrounded by way of a thicket of no trespassing symptoms that mark artistic paintings as deepest estate. Caren Irr’s purple Pirates asks how modern novelists—represented via Ursula Le Guin, Andrea Barrett, Kathy Acker, and Leslie Marmon Silko—have learn these indicators, arguing that for feminist writers particularly copyright usually inspires the power exclusion of ladies from possession.
First released in 1966. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
For nearly 3 a long time, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak has been ignoring the standardized "rules" of the academy and trespassing throughout disciplinary limitations. this present day she continues to be one of many finest figures within the research of worldwide literature and its cultural results. during this new booklet she publicizes the dying of comparative literature as we all know it and sounds an pressing demand a "new comparative literature," during which the self-discipline is given new existence -- person who isn't really appropriated and decided via the marketplace.
- Wilde Style: The Plays and Prose of Oscar Wilde (Studies In Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Literature Series)
- The Cambridge Introduction to Walter Benjamin (Cambridge Introductions to Literature)
- Unfastened: Globality and Asian North American Narratives
- Understanding Cormac McCarthy (Understanding Contemporary American Literature)
Additional resources for An Introduction to Literary Studies
An Introduction to Literary Studies by Mario Klarer