By Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello
A huge, comparative heritage of librarianship, this fascinating paintings is going past the normal specialize in associations and collections that will help you discover the half sleek librarianship played—and maintains to play—in forming Western cultures.
• Discusses the cultural function of libraries and the function of knowledge in shaping smooth society
• Deepens readers' realizing of the historical past of the twentieth century and sleek librarianship, together with electronic convergence of the prior decades
• Analyzes the cycles of "information explosion" and a number of info eras as a part of the advance of librarianship over greater than a century
• Explores tensions round expert neutrality within the provision of public entry to info and information in a democratic society
Read or Download A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures PDF
Similar library & information science books
This expert reference offers reliable suggestion to educational and public librarians for coping with acting arts collections. the quantity is split into sections at the heritage of appearing arts librarianship, dance collections, movie stories collections, song collections, and theater collections. every one bankruptcy is written by means of a number of specialist individuals and provides present and trustworthy details on assortment administration.
An summary of the FRBR version, and the way it could actually increase entry to details during the useful association of metadata files. |What is FRBR, and why is every body conversing approximately it? Is it fairly going to revolutionize cataloguing? And if that is so, what shape will it take? This e-book is written for librarians, bibliographic platforms designers, library and knowledge technological know-how school and scholars, and somebody else who's attracted to studying concerning the useful necessities for Bibliographic files (FRBR) and the way following the FRBR version can increase entry to details via valuable association of the metadata documents which are surrogates for info assets.
This instruction manual is a consultant to the library database method Allegro, used for cataloguing in lots of small and medium sized detailed libraries (with as much as approximately 100,000 volumes). scholars of librarianship additionally use it in the course of their schooling. This guide deals a practice-based advisor to cataloguing with Allegro and is a textbook and reference paintings for either newcomers and skilled clients.
Because the variety of carrier studying classes and their specifications raise, it's crucial for tutorial librarians to companion with school and management to incorporate lifelong learn talents elements. this important publication presents insights and case reports to help you just do that. • attracts from the 2014 (inaugural) Colloquium on Libraries & provider studying• bargains a special tackle the position of libraries and librarians within the provider studying courses which are more and more renowned in greater schooling for you to have interaction energetic studying • offers details and insights that may be beneficial to educational librarians who train and/or have outreach duties, in addition to to educational library directors and LIS college• stocks reflections at the way forward for carrier studying
- Renewing our Libraries: Case Studies in Re-planning and Refurbishment
- Writing Effectively in Print and on the Web: A Practical Guide for Librarians (Practical Guides for Librarians)
- Guided Inquiry: Learning in the 21st Century, 2nd Edition: Learning in the 21st Century (Libraries Unlimited Guided Inquiry)
- Simply Indispensable: An Action Guide for School Librarians
Extra info for A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures
A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures by Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello