By Rebecca Bushnell
- Tells the tale of the historic improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity
- Features 28 essays by means of popular students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy
- Broad in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and history
- Offers a clean review of historic Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of studying tragedy has replaced substantially long ago decades
Read Online or Download A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Georgie Hyde Lees, who married W. B. Yeats within the autumn of 1917, has for a few years occupied a secondary or perhaps marginal place in so much experiences of her well-known husband. She has been depicted as a terrible selection for romantic associate, political comrade, or literary collaborator. whereas usually thanked in acknowledgments pages and thought of as a minor editor or secretary, she often gets basically footnote prestige in literary analyses.
This present day, copyright is far and wide, surrounded by way of a thicket of no trespassing indicators that mark inventive paintings as inner most estate. Caren Irr’s crimson Pirates asks how modern novelists—represented via Ursula Le Guin, Andrea Barrett, Kathy Acker, and Leslie Marmon Silko—have learn these indicators, arguing that for feminist writers particularly copyright frequently evokes the chronic exclusion of girls from possession.
First released in 1966. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
For nearly 3 a long time, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak has been ignoring the standardized "rules" of the academy and trespassing throughout disciplinary limitations. this day she continues to be one of many most effective figures within the research of worldwide literature and its cultural outcomes. during this new booklet she pronounces the demise of comparative literature as we all know it and sounds an pressing demand a "new comparative literature," within which the self-discipline is given new lifestyles -- person who isn't really appropriated and decided by means of the marketplace.
- Surfacing the Politics of Desire: Literature, Feminism and Myth
- Icons of African American Literature: The Black Literary World (Greenwood Icons)
- Re-reading Italian Americana: Specificities and Generalities on Literature and Criticism (The Fairleigh Dickinson University Press Series in Italian Studies)
- Love's Obstacles in Othello
- A Historical Guide to Walt Whitman (Historical Guides to American Authors)
- Frances Newman: Southern Satirist and Literary Rebel
Extra info for A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rebecca Bushnell